Perranzabuloe Museum

Location:- Ponsmere road, Perranporth, Cornwall, TR6 0BW


Home Page

Museum History

St Piran

Farming

Mining

Railway

Wartime

Seashore

Display Areas

Photographs

Personalities

What's on ?

Friends


Railway

   In 1903 The Great Western Railway completed a branch line from the mainline station at Chacewater via St Agnes and Perranporth, enabling a through connection to Truro.   In 1906 this was linked with the Newquay-Treamble mineral railway at Shepherds to form a continuous link with Newquay.   In the parish other stopping points (referred to as halts) were at Mithian, Perranporth beach and Goonhavern.

   The coming of the railway gave an important transport link to the area.   As well as produce and manufactured items being sent to a wider field, building materials and other commodities arrived.   The tourist industry gained momentum and the services supporting these activities flourished.     The museum recalls the effects of Dr Beeching's railway axe with pictures of the last train leaving from Perranporth station.  Much of the line has been lost to development, but it is still possible to walk a section and the bridge in this picture still exists at Bolingey.

 

                     Home                Back to top